Kale and Black Bean Enchiladas
Serves: 6 to 8
Packed with protein, whole grains and vitamins, these hearty and healthy enchiladas are so tasty the kids will gobble them up!
- 2 teaspoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 bunches kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning (available in our bulk section) Add to list
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (available in the PCC Deli) Add to list
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red or green enchilada sauce, divided Add to list
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided Add to list
- 12 (8-inch) corn tortillas Add to list
Preheat oven to 350Â° F.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add kale and water or stock, cover with a lid, and steam until kale leaves are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in Mexican seasoning, beans, rice and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce; simmer for 5 minutes. Fold in 1/4 cup cheese.
Coat the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with enchilada sauce. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven until just pliable, 2 to 3 minutes.
To assemble: Lay a tortilla on a flat surface and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup kale mixture in the center. Roll up and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue until all of the kale mixture is used. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake until bubbly and the cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
Any extra filling, enchilada sauce or whole enchiladas can be frozen up to 3 months.
Each serving: 340 cal, 9g fat (4g sat), 15mg chol, 1380mg sodium, 55g carb, 11g fiber, 15g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »