Cumin and Fennel-spiced Pumpkin or Butternut Squash
Serves: 4 to 6
A splash of autumnal color for your table. Find the herbs and spices in our bulk department.
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil (canola, ghee, almond, avocado, etc.) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- 2 cups peeled, chopped butternut squash or pumpkin (1-inch cubes) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mustard, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add ginger. Sauté for 1 minute.
Add chopped squash or pumpkin and turmeric. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add salt, cayenne, coriander and water. Cook, covered, over medium heat, for 10 minutes. Add tamarind paste and sugar. Mix well and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor