Just Like Fried Chicken
This “fried” chicken is baked in the oven for a healthier and less-messy version of a classic Southern favorite.
- 4 pieces chicken (drumsticks or boneless breasts) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Add to list
- Pinch of cayenne (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk Add to list
- 1 cup breadcrumbs Add to list
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Rinse chicken under cool water and pat dry with a paper towel. Mix together oregano, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic and cayenne in a bowl. Place buttermilk and breadcrumbs in two separate shallow dishes.
Toss chicken in buttermilk then sprinkle with spice mixture. Roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. Repeat with remaining pieces.
Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden and cooked through, 20 to 40 minutes.