Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Summer Fruit Salsa
This the classic dish of the Caribbean, and deservedly so. The zesty spice of the marinade is balanced perfectly with the cool, sweet tones of the salsa.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 6 boneless, skinless thighs Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- Juice of 1 lime Add to list
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced ginger Add to list
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg Add to list
- Pinch ground cloves Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
Place all of the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor or blender and puree coarsely. Pierce the chicken with a fork and rub the marinade in thoroughly. Let marinate overnight.
Cook the chicken over a hot grill, 4 to 5 minutes each side. Serve with Summer Fruit Salsa.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on August 11, 2007
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »