Italian Sausage Soup
Shopper recipe | Submitted by MShehane
Serves: 6 to 8
Yield: 3 quarts
Prep time: 45 minutes
This is a soup that is easy to fix and not very expensive. Add some good bread and your meal is complete.
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, hot or sweet or a combination Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic Add to list
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper Add to list
- 2 16-ounce cans chopped tomatoes Add to list
- 1 teaspoon oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds Add to list
- 1 quart container of chicken stock Add to list
- 1 quart water Add to list
- 1 package cream cheese, at room temperature Add to list
- 10 ounces fresh spinach Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves Add to list
Sauté sausage in olive oil until well browned in a heavy bottom pot. Remove sausage from the pot. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Slice sausage and return to pot. Add tomatoes, oregano, fennel and chicken stock. Add water (quart). Simmer for about 20 minutes.
Lower temperature and add cream cheese broken into small pieces. Let cheese melt (about 5 to 6 minutes). Add spinach and basil, and serve.
Additional option: Add 2 cups of chopped broccoli or cauliflower about 5 minutes before serving. Use turkey sausage instead of pork or beef. Add extra chicken stock and add a cup of uncooked pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked then add cheese and spinach and basil.