Italian Bean Salad
Refreshing on a warm evening and a delicious accompaniment to grilled lamb. Try replacing half of the red tomato with a yellow variety during peak tomato season for a picture-perfect dish!
- 1/3 pound green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 large clove garlic, minced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans or any other small white beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions Add to list
- 2 tomatoes, cubed Add to list
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
Bring a pot of water to a boil, add green beans and cook 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until completely chilled. Pat dry.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine green beans, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, onions, tomatoes, olives, dill and parsley. Add dressing and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature. Top with crumbled feta before serving.
This salad can be made several hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. The green beans and tomatoes should be put in the salad at this point, as they will discolor if left in the lemon dressing for a longer period. Stir and then top with crumbled feta.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor