Insalata di Panzanella (Bread Salad)
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 tomatoes, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 4 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 15 basil leaves, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 small loaf Panzanella bread (couple of days old), cubed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons or more water Add to list
- 1 head Romaine or other lettuce Add to list
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a bowl, place the tomatoes, salt, green onions, olive oil, basil and peppers; let sit for about one hour for the flavors to blend. Put the bread in a bowl, sprinkle with water and then toss with tomatoes.
Place the lettuce leaves on a platter and cover with bread salad, top with shavings of Parmesan and serve.
For variation you may add red bell peppers, cucumbers, diced fresh mozzarella and kalamata olives.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »