Insalata di Panzanella (Bread Salad)
Serves: 4 to 6
Bread salad is a very traditional dish found in Italy. It is a great way to use leftover bread.
- 6 tomatoes, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 4 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 15 basil leaves, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 anaheim pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 small loaf Panzanella bread (couple of days old), cubed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons or more water Add to list
- 1 head Romaine or other lettuce Add to list
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a bowl, place tomatoes, salt, green onions, olive oil, basil and peppers; let sit for about 1 hour for the flavors to blend. Put bread in a bowl, sprinkle with water and then toss with tomatoes.
Place lettuce leaves on a platter and cover with bread salad, top with shavings of Parmesan and serve.
For variation you may add red bell peppers, cucumbers, diced fresh mozzarella and Kalamata olives.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor