Indian Spiced Potatoes and Spinach
Aromatic Indian spices lend a complex depth of flavor that transform cubed potatoes and chopped spinach into an exciting side dish. Delicious!
- 1 tablespon olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 2 cinnamon sticks Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper Add to list
- 3 cups coarsely chopped red onion Add to list
- 4 cups cubed, unpeeled, Yukon Gold potatoes Add to list
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1 10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos Add to list
- 1 cup low fat soy milk Add to list
In a 5 quart saucepan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Stir and cook over medium heat until the seeds begin to pop. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and crushed red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Add the onions and potatoes. Cook 3 minutes. Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin and coriander. Cook 6 miunutes. Add the spinach and remaining ingredients and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced and the potatoes are tender. Remove cinnamon and bay leaves.
Editor's note: Take care not to bring the sauce to a boil, or the soy milk may curdle.
Recipe by, former PCC staff