Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 6 corn or flour tortillas Add to list
- 3 cups cooked black or pinto beans, divided (or 2 15-ounce cans, drained) Add to list
- Juice of 1 lime Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 6 large eggs Add to list
- Shredded cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack or queso fresco Add to list
- Fresh salsa (about 1 1/2 cups) Add to list
- Sour cream Add to list
- Hot sauce Add to list
- Sliced avocado Add to list
- Cilantro, for garnish Add to list
Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and heat in a 350º F oven while you prepare the beans and fry the eggs.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 1/2 cups of the black beans, lime juice, cumin, cayenne and salt. Process until smooth. If necessary, add broth 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve an even consistency. Transfer the mixture to a bowl or saucepan and mix in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of beans. Set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Gently crack the eggs into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and let cook until the white is fully cooked through but the yolk is still soft. (Cook eggs in batches if necessary.) Meanwhile, heat the bean mixture until warmed through either in the microwave or on the stove.
Place each tortilla on a plate. Spoon some of the bean mixture over the top and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top each tortilla with a cooked egg. Top with salsa, sour cream, hot sauce and avocado as desired. Garnish with cilantro.
each serving: 340cal, 14g fat (4g sat), 195mg chol, 430mg sodium, 36g carb, 9g fiber, 19g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, January 2013