Honey-Poached Pears with Crème Fraîche
- 1 cup honey Add to list
- 5 whole star anise (in bulk at PCC) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- Pinch of fine sea salt Add to list
- 6 medium-firm but ripe pears (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, quartered and cored Add to list
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche, sour cream or Greek yogurt Add to list
Combine 2 1/2 cups water, honey, star anise, lemon juice and sea salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add pears; reduce heat and simmer until tender, turning occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, depending on ripeness. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to a medium bowl. Boil liquid and star anise until reduced to 1 cup syrup, about 20 minutes. Pour syrup with star anise over pears. Cover and chill until cold. Note: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
Remove star anise from syrup. Divide pears and syrup among 6 bowls. Top each with a dollop of crème fraîche and serve.
each serving: 290 cal, 0.5g fat (0g sat), 0mg chol, 105mg sodium, 72g carb, 5g fiber, 2g protein
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, February 2013
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »