Homemade Olive Oil and Cornmeal Pizza Dough
Try making your own pizza dough for Grilled Pizza Rustica with Grilled Local Vegetables and Arugula with this recipe.
- 2 cups warm water (90 to 105° F) Add to list
- 1 package active dry yeast Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour, plus extra for dusting Add to list
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence Add to list
In a large bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Let sit until yeast begins to proof and becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Add oil, salt, 4 1/2 cups bread flour, cornmeal and herbes de Provence. Mix until flour is incorporated and then scrape dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Add more flour if dough is too sticky to work with.
With your hands, knead dough until smooth and elastic, dusting with flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape dough into a ball and lightly oil the outside of it. Place dough in a bowl and let proof in a warm place for 45 minutes or until dough doubles in bulk.
Cut dough into 4 pieces and shape into rounds. Oil the rounds lightly and let rest, covered with plastic wrap or a towel, for 10 to 15 minutes. You may now shape the dough.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING-5’s “Gardening with Ciscoe” show which airs in June 2007