Homemade Energy Bars
Yield: 18 bars
This recipe offers plenty of leeway to concoct fun flavor combinations, like dried cranberries and walnuts, or dried mangoes and coconut butter.
- 2 cups rolled oats (see note) Add to list
- 2 cups prepared trail mix from bulk bins, or nuts, seeds and dried fruit of your choice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey Add to list
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil Add to list
- 1 cup nut or seed butter Add to list
In a bowl, combine oats, trail mix and salt. Over medium heat, place maple syrup and honey and in a saucepan and bring to a low boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add oil and nut or seed butter and heat until it is thoroughly mixed and is an even consistency.
Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients and combine until evenly mixed. Press into an oiled 6-cup rectangular or square baking dish. Let cool, then flip out onto a cutting board and cut into 18 bars.
Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap to keep the bars from drying out.
For a more robust flavor, place oats on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 325° F for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Nuts and seeds can be toasted in the same way for 6 to 7 minutes.
Each bar: 250 cal, 15g fat (2.5g sat), 0mg chol, 70mg sodium, 27g carb, 3g fiber, 15g sugars, 6g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Educator