Homemade Energy Bars
Yield: 18 bars
This recipe offers plenty of leeway to concoct fun flavor combinations, like dried cranberries and walnuts, or dried mangoes and coconut butter.
- 2 cups rolled oats (see note) Add to list
- 2 cups prepared trail mix from bulk bins, or nuts, seeds and dried fruit of your choice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey Add to list
- 1/4 cup barley malt syrup Add to list
- 2 tablespoons oil Add to list
- 1 cup almond butter or other nut butter Add to list
In a bowl, combine oats, trail mix and salt. Over medium heat, place maple syrup, honey and barley malt syrup in a saucepan and bring to a low boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add oil and almond butter and heat until it is thoroughly mixed and is an even consistency.
Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients and combine until evenly mixed. Press into an oiled 7 1/2- by 11-inch baking dish. Let cool, then flip out onto a cutting board and cut into 18 bars.
Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap to keep the bars from drying out.
For a more robust flavor, place oats on a sheet pan and toast in the oven at 325° F for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Nuts and seeds can be toasted in the same way for 6 to 7 minutes.
Each bar: 260cal, 15g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 130mg sodium, 27g carb, 2g fiber, 11g sugars, 6g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Educator
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »