Serves: 6 to 8
A perfect appetizer: mushrooms stuffed with savory fresh herbs, cheese and spinach.
- 24 crimini or white button mushrooms Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons butter Add to list
- 2 shallots, minced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar Add to list
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1/2 cup packed chopped baby spinach Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Carefully remove stems from mushrooms. If a stem breaks, use the end of a spoon to hollow out more space. Toss mushroom caps with olive oil and place on the prepared baking sheet. Finely chop mushrooms stems.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chopped mushroom stems, shallots and garlic for 5 minutes. Add sherry vinegar, breadcrumbs, spinach, parsley, thyme, sage and lemon zest. Cook until breadcrumbs are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a small spoon, stuff caps with breadcrumb mixture, mounding the filling slightly. Sprinkle each mushroom with Parmesan cheese.
Bake until mushrooms are tender and golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by, PCC Chef