Herbed Mushroom Sauce
Yield: About 2 1/2 cups
- 1 pound mixed crimini and shiitake mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin coconut oil Add to list
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine Add to list
- 4 to 5 tablespoons plum jam Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock (water mixed with bouillon powder) Add to list
- Lemon juice to taste Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water Add to list
In a medium saucepan, sauté the mushrooms in coconut oil until the juice from the mushrooms starts to brown. Add tomato paste, Marsala, plum jam and herbs; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add vegetable stock and let simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, until it reduces to about 2 1/2 cups. Add lemon juice to taste.
Taste and add more plum jam, lemon juice, salt and pepper if needed. Add arrowroot mixture and stir until thickened.
The sauce freezes well. Defrost and reheat.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting