Serves: 4 to 6
Celebrate the large bounty of summer produce with this refreshing recipe by one of our PCC Cooks instructors. This soup serves as a cool starter to any hot-weather meal.
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and finely diced Add to list
- 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal Add to list
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced Add to list
- 2 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, finely diced Add to list
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as Italian parsley, mint, cilantro, basil, oregano or chives Add to list
- 1/4 cup lime juice Add to list
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 2 to 3 cups tomato juice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Let soup chill for a few hours before serving to develop the flavors.
For a smoother texture, chop vegetables in a food processor, then add cumin, tomato juice, salt and pepper. Serve chilled.
Each serving: 90 cal, 0.5g fat (0g sat), 0mg chol, 135mg sodium, 19g carb, 5g fiber, 4g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor