Herb-seasoned Roasted Chicken a la Ella
Serves: 4 to 6
This succulent, crispy chicken takes only moments to prepare for roasting in the oven and makes a gorgeous presentation at your table. Serve with Simple Pasta Ella with Colorful Garden Vegetables.
- 1 whole fryer chicken Add to list
- 1 lemon, cut in half Add to list
- Sprigs of fresh thyme plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon pepper Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Rinse chicken inside and out and dry. Stuff cavity with lemon halves and thyme sprigs. Brush skin of chicken lightly with olive oil. Combine remaining herbs, including chopped fresh thyme, in a small bowl and sprinkle herb seasoning all over the surface of chicken.
Place chicken in a roasting pan. (You may place it on a roasting rack in the pan for browning that's more even.) Roast 18 to 20 minutes for each pound of chicken. (About 1 hour and 15 minutes for a 4-pound chicken.) Take the temperature of the chicken with an instant-read thermometer by placing the thermometer in the meat of the inner thigh, not touching the bone. It should read 165° F. When chicken reaches 165° F, pull it from the oven and tent loosely with foil. It will pick up a few degrees as it sits. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on June 5, 2010.