Serves: 8 to 10
- 1 (12- to 14-pound) turkey, giblets and neck removed Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 6 to 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature Add to list
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs (parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, etc.), plus additional sprigs for stuffing and garnish Add to list
- 1 lemon, zested and halved Add to list
- 1 onion, peeled and halved Add to list
Preheat oven to 450° F. Place a rack in a large, heavy roasting pan. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Sprinkle salt and pepper liberally over the outside and inside of turkey. Place turkey breast-side up on the rack.
In a bowl, cream together butter, chopped herbs and lemon zest until well blended. Carefully loosen the skin from the turkey, and rub 3/4 of herb butter under skin, next to the flesh. Rub remaining herb butter over the top of turkey. Stuff cavity with a few herb sprigs, lemon and onion halves. Tuck wing tips under bird (to prevent burning). Pour 3 cups water into roasting pan.
Roast turkey, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F. Baste turkey with pan juices every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone reaches 165° F, 2 to 3 hours total. If the skin becomes too dark while roasting, tent turkey with foil.
Remove turkey from the oven, tent with foil, and let rest 30 minutes before carving. Before serving, garnish with fresh herb sprigs, if desired.
Each 4-ounce serving: 360 cal, 25g fat (10g sat), 125mg chol, 140mg sodium, 0g carb, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 30g protein