Herb Roasted Organic Chicken
- 1 gallon water, divided Add to list
- 3/4 cup salt (or less Add to list
- 1/2 cup honey Add to list
- 6 bay leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns Add to list
- 1 bunch fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 head garlic, halved Add to list
- 3 lemons, halved Add to list
For the Brine
Place 1/2 the water and the rest of the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add the rest of the water, cold or iced. Refrigerate the brine until cool.
For the Chicken
Trim off fatty ends of chicken and remove giblets. Truss chicken with butcher's twine and place in the cold brine overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours. Remove the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place chicken in an oven-safe stainless steel sauté pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven and tilt pan toward you, pooling the grease. Place the herbs in the grease. With a large spoon, baste the chicken with the herb mixture. Let chicken rest, then slice and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Deli Chef
Source: 2011 PCC annual meeting dinner
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »