Helmut's World Famous Apple and Allspice Sauerkraut
Yield: about 1 1/2 quarts
- 4 cups sauerkraut Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon Add to list
- 1 onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground peppercorns Add to list
- 1 cup chunky applesauce Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar Add to list
- 2 small Russet potatoes Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Rinse sauerkraut really well and drain.
In a "stove top-to-oven" pan, sauté bacon and onions until well cooked. Do not drain. Add sauerkraut to the pan and stir in spices, applesauce, brown sugar and vinegar. Place in the oven and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour. (If it begins to brown too much, just stir it up a little.)
After an hour of cooking, peel and puree potatoes. (A food processor works best. If you don't have a processor, finely grate potatoes.) Stir potatoes into sauerkraut and cook about 45 minutes longer. Season with salt if necessary.
Serve with Spice-crusted Pork Tenderloin, smoked pork or sausages, spaetzle, or dumplings and mustard. YUM!
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Served with Baked Organic Washington State Apples with Ginger-Hazelnut-Cranberry Butter and Spice-crusted Pork Tenderloin on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 4, 2010.