Tomato Soup with Fresh Cream
Serves: 6 to 8
A swirl of cream makes this easy soup rich and luxurious.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 3 medium onions, chopped Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Pinch red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth Add to list
- 10 leaves fresh basil, torn Add to list
- 15 medium or 10 large tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream (for serving) Add to list
Add olive oil to a 12-quart pot and set over medium-high heat. When warm, add onions and about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to color.
Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute. Add broth, basil and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tomatoes are softened. Adjust seasonings to taste and remove from heat.
Once soup has cooled, puree two-thirds in a blender or food processor. Serve close to room temperature, with a tablespoon of cream swirled into each bowl just before serving. Without the cream, the soup holds for a week in the fridge; it's good hot, warm or cool, and freezes well.
Each serving: 260 cal, 21g fat (9g sat), 45mg chol, 290mg sodium, 11g carb, 4g fiber, 5g protein