Heirloom Tomato and Basil Panzanella
Serves: 6 to 8
Great rustic bread is toasted in olive oil and tossed with juicy heirloom tomatoes and a sassy vinaigrette. Feel free to swap out basil for another herb or add a couple of handfuls of arugula. Make it a light meal by topping the salad with grilled chicken or fish or tossing in crumbled bacon and a sprinkling of feta, chèvre or Parmesan.
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 small loaf rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 to 3 heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks Add to list
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar Add to list
- 20 basil leaves, torn Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (optional) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional) Add to list
Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Fry bread cubes in oil, turning frequently, until crispy and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
Combine garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers with vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Let marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
Toss vegetables lightly with bread. Fold in basil, and olives and capers. Let rest for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.
Each serving: 420 cal, 20g fat (3g sat), 0mg chol, 0mg sodium, 51g carb, 3g fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on July 31, 2010.