Heirloom Bloody Mary
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
Drink it straight, or add a little alcohol, in this refreshing summer cocktail mix.
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1 clove garlic Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt Add to list
- Prepared horseradish or hot sauce, to taste Add to list
- Vodka, gin or beer, to taste (optional) Add to list
- Sliced dill pickles, lemon wedges and celery stalks, for garnish Add to list
Add tomatoes, garlic and a pinch of salt to a food processor; puree until smooth. Strain puree through a food mill or fine strainer, discarding the solids. Mix in lemon juice, pickle juice, Worcestershire, celery salt and horseradish or hot sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill at least 2 hours.
To serve, pour tomato mixture over ice and add desired amount of vodka, gin or beer. Garnish with pickles, lemon wedges and celery stalks.
For a beer-based bloody mary, use your favorite IPA or lager, such as Fremont Summer Ale or Anchor California Lager.
Each serving: 45cal, 0g fat (0g sat), 0mg chol, 330mg sodium, 10g carb, 3g fiber, 6g sugars, 2g protein