Hearty Winter Greens with Cranberry-Walnut Dressing
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup walnut oil Add to list
- 1/3 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon capers Add to list
- 2 teaspoons honey Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries Add to list
- 2 tablespoons silken soft tofu Add to list
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard Add to list
- 1 small bunch bok choy (or 3 or 4 bunches of baby bok choy) Add to list
- 3 to 4 arugula leaves, torn Add to list
- 3 to 4 spinach leaves, torn Add to list
- 3 to 4 radicchio leaves, torn Add to list
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced in half moons Add to list
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries Add to list
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts (or other nuts), roughly chopped Add to list
- 1 small beet root, scrubbed, trimmed and grated Add to list
Blend oils, vinegar, capers, honey, cranberries and tofu until fairly smooth, with bits of cranberries still visible.
Thoroughly clean and trim chard greens. Cross-cut chard stems in 1/2 inch wide pieces, just up to the leaves. Roll leaves together for easier handling and slicing into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons. Clean, trim and slice bok choy similarly. Toss with arugula, spinach, radicchio, onions and cranberries. Chill until ready to toss with dressing.
Just before serving, add nuts and grated beet roots. Toss with just enough dressing to coat the greens lightly. Taste, and add more dressing, if needed.
Source: Sound Consumer December 2000
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »