Hearty Turkey Quinoa Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
This soup goes together quickly and is packed with so many good things. It’s a great way to use up your leftover Thanksgiving turkey and a clever vehicle to get your family to eat their greens.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced (or substitute 2 chopped celery ribs) Add to list
- 1 carrot, diced Add to list
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced Add to list
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano Add to list
- 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock Add to list
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey meat Add to list
- 2 cups coarsely chopped leafy winter greens Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions, celery root, carrots and parsnips. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent and slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa and herbs. Cook for 1 minute more.
Add 2 quarts of chicken or turkey stock and simmer the mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. (If the quinoa absorbs too much liquid, add additional stock.) Stir in turkey meat and greens and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes to wilt the greens.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.