Hearty Turkey Quinoa Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
This soup goes together quickly and is packed with so many good things. It’s a great way to use up your leftover Thanksgiving turkey and a clever vehicle to get your family to eat their greens.
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced (or substitute 2 chopped celery ribs) Add to list
- 1 carrot, diced Add to list
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced Add to list
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock Add to list
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey meat Add to list
- 2 cups coarsely chopped leafy winter greens Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions, celery root, carrots and parsnips. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent and slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa and herbs. Cook for 1 minute more.
Add 2 quarts chicken or turkey stock and simmer the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. (If quinoa absorbs too much liquid, add additional stock.) Stir in turkey meat and greens and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes to wilt greens.
Recipe by, PCC Chef