Health Secret Cookies
Yield: About 2 dozen cookies
This is the secret to healthy foods — they should taste good and make your body strong at the same time!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter Add to list
- 1 cup packed brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup Sucanat (or regular sugar) Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 cups oats Add to list
- 1 cup shredded coconut Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips Add to list
- 1/2 cup walnuts Add to list
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Beat together butter and sugars in a bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until just blended, then beat in vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, salt and mix at low speed until just blended. Stir in oats, coconut, chocolate chips, nuts and seeds.
Arrange 1/4-cup mounds of cookie dough about 3 inches apart on 2 lightly buttered large baking sheets (about 8 cookies per sheet); then gently pat down each mound to about 1/2-inch thick. Bake on middle rack of oven, rotating pans halfway through baking, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes total.
Cool cookies on sheets for 1 minute, then transfer with a spatula to racks to cool completely.
Recipe by, PCC Nutrition Educator
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired January 5, 2011.