Ham, Mushroom and Asparagus Strata
This layered bread and egg casserole with ham, mushrooms and asparagus is perfect for spring brunches.
- Butter, for dish Add to list
- 5 eggs Add to list
- 2 cups milk Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 (1-pound) loaf day-old white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 pound assorted mushrooms, stems removed and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/2 pound asparagus, woody ends removed and stalks cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives Add to list
- 1 cup diced, cooked ham Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Add bread and stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release their juices and start to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in asparagus and cook until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
Add vegetable mixture, herbs, ham and cheese to bread mixture; fold gently to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until custard is set around the edges, about 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake until golden and custard is completely set, an additional 20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.