Halibut and Chickpea Salad
Many fish lovers look to halibut’s arrival at PCC as a sure sign spring has sprung. Grill it with a simple butter sauce alongside asparagus, or stretch your dollar and slice up a grilled halibut steak to create this tasty, protein-packed salad.
- 1 (6-ounce) halibut steak Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1 cup arugula, chopped Add to list
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved Add to list
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) Add to list
- 1 fennel bulb, stalk removed, halved, and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- Juice of one lemon Add to list
- 2 teaspoons honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the halibut with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Let the fish rest for a few minutes then cut into 1-inch cubes.
In a large bowl, combine the arugula, tomatoes, chickpeas and fennel. In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the salad and toss to combine. Top with fish and serve.
Source: Sound Consumer April 2009