Grilled Trout with Spicy Tamarind Sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil Add to list
- 1 small onion, diced Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed dried chiles (or more to taste) Add to list
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 ounces (by weight) tamarind purée Add to list
- 1 can coconut milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste Add to list
- 3 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce Add to list
- 1 Kaffir lime leaf or 1 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice Add to list
- 2 teaspoon mint, finely chopped Add to list
Other Ingredients (per portion):
In a non-reactive saucepan, heat peanut oil over a moderate flame. Add onion, chiles, and garlic. Sauté until golden.
Add remaining ingredients up to and including sugar. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture lightly coats a spoon.
Strain through a fine mesh. Stir in lime juice and mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Open trout up so that it lies flat. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Sear on a well-oiled grill, skin side down, then turn and finish cooking. Cut halves of trout apart into two fillets.
To serve, ladle sauce onto serving plates and arrange trout fillets on top of sauce. Garnish with bell pepper dice and mint or cilantro sprigs.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor