Grilled Sausages with Condiment Bar
PCC sausages are made for us by a local Seattle company, Mondo and Sons! They’re fat, juicy and filled with truly top-quality ingredients. Prior to grilling, I like to poach them gently to cook them through, and then finish them with a sizzle on the hot grill, surrounded by sweet onions, peppers and even grilled pickles! To top it off, set up a vibrant condiment bar so each guest can custom design their own creation.
- 4 to 6 cups water Add to list
- 2 cups wine or beer (optional) Add to list
- 4 PCC link sausages (your favorite flavor) Add to list
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeds removed and sliced Add to list
- 4 dill pickles, sliced lengthwise Add to list
- Olive oil for brushing Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- Condiment bar (see note for a few suggestions) Add to list
Combine 4 cups of water with 2 cups of wine or beer or simply use 6 cups of water. Bring it to a gentle simmer and add the sausages. Don’t prick or poke any holes in the sausages; you want to keep all those lovely flavors inside! Simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the sausages are just cooked through (they should read 165° F in the center).
Preheat your outdoor grill to medium high. Place the poached sausages on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes, then flip them and cook another 4 minutes, or until they are sizzling and golden. While the sausages are cooking, brush the onions, sweet peppers and pickles with a little olive oil and season the onions and sweet peppers with salt and pepper. Distribute on the grill and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on one side and flip to cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
Pile the sausages with the onions, peppers and pickles on a platter and serve with fresh buns or wraps and a condiment bar of your favorite accompaniments.
Condiment bar suggestions
- Firefly Kitchens Classic Kraut
- Firefly Kitchens Cortido Kraut
- Firefly Kitchens Ruby Red Kraut
- A selection of mustards (spicy, coarse grind, honey mustard)
- Sweet and dill pickle relish
- Grilled Cherry Pasilla Salsa
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
Make it a meal
Round out your picnic with help from the PCC Deli.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired July 2, 2012.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »