Grilled Pizza Rustica with Pesto-simmered Turkey
Yield: 4 pizzas
This is a delicious, traditional pizza dough cooked in a non-traditional method. The grilling actually gives the finished dish a wood-fired oven flavor and a crispy finish. The combination of pesto turkey, sweet peppers, basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese not only tastes incredible, it creates a gorgeous palate of colors.
- 2 cups warm water (90 to 105° F) Add to list
- 1 package active dry yeast Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour, plus extra for dusting Add to list
- Basil pesto Add to list
- 8 to 10 slices fresh mozzarella cheese per pizza Add to list
- 1 cup cooked turkey simmered with a little stock and 2 tablespoons pesto per pizza Add to list
- Roasted red and/or yellow peppers, cut into strips Add to list
- Pitted Kalamata olives Add to list
- Whole basil leaves Add to list
- Pine nuts Add to list
- Slivered fresh garlic Add to list
- Grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast and sugar. Let sit until yeast begins to proof by becoming foamy, about 5 minutes.
Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt and bread flour. Mix until flour is incorporated and then scrape dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With your hands, knead dough until smooth and elastic, dusting with flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape dough into a ball and lightly oil the outside of it. Place dough in a bowl and let proof in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until dough doubles in bulk.
Cut dough into 4 pieces and shape into rounds. Dust dough lightly with flour and cover lightly with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at this point for up to 12 hours to hold, then bring to room temperature and proceed as follows.
With your fingertips, pat dough circles down and out into 4 circles. If dough becomes too elastic, stop and let it rest 5 to 10 minutes and then continue.
Heat a gas or charcoal grill until hot. It is helpful if you oil the grill first. Brush dough with 2 tablespoons olive oil and place 2 of the rounds on the grill. Grill until golden brown and turn over, 2 to 4 minutes.
Top the browned side of each pizza with pesto, mozzarella cheese and turkey. Arrange remaining ingredients over the top. Close the grill lid and allow pizza to cook until the underside is done. Slide onto a platter and cut into wedges.
Repeat with the other 2 dough rounds, or freeze for later use.
Recipe by, PCC Chef