Grilled Pancetta-wrapped Prawns
Serves: 4 to 6
Whether for a special dinner or an informal picnic, these smoky-sweet prawns are a lovely addition to a menu.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon mirin or sherry Add to list
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar Add to list
- 24 large prawns - tail left on, peeled and deveined Add to list
- 24 thin slices pancetta Add to list
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce Add to list
- Black or white sesame seeds Add to list
- Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish (optional) Add to list
Combine garlic, tamari, sesame oil, mirin and brown sugar in a large container with a tight-fitting lid. Add prawns and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or as long as overnight.
Preheat grill to 400° F.
Remove prawns from marinade and pat dry. Wrap each prawn in a slice of pancetta. Brush each with a little sweet chili sauce and sprinkle with a pinch of sesame seeds. String on skewers and grill for 5 to 7 minutes, turning once. The pancetta should be golden and prawns opaque in the center.
Arrange prawns on a platter or individual plates and drizzle with remaining sweet chili sauce. If you like, garnish with thin strips of green onions.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired August 18, 2010.