Grilled Mushroom Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette
Serves: 6 to 8
The flavors that develop when you caramelize mushrooms on a grill transport them to a new dimension. Add a zesty vinaigrette infused with toasted sesame seeds, finish with a colorful garnish and you have a special meal.
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed Add to list
- 4 crimini mushrooms Add to list
- 4 white button mushrooms Add to list
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed Add to list
- Sesame Vinaigrette Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated carrots Add to list
- 1/2 cup thin strips red bell peppers Add to list
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal Add to list
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds Add to list
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups baby salad greens Add to list
Gently brush mushrooms or toss them in a towel to remove any debris. Place in a large bowl. Pour enough Sesame Vinaigrette over mushrooms to coat well.
Toss carrots, bell pepper strips, green onions, sesame seeds and cilantro with a little vinaigrette and set aside.
Preheat grill to high and place mushrooms on the grate. For portobellos, allow 5 to 6 minutes per side (or until tender through) and about 4 minutes for smaller mushrooms.
Cut mushroom caps into slices. Toss greens with a little vinaigrette and pile on plates. Arrange mushrooms on top and garnish with carrot and bell pepper mixture.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on May 12, 2012.