Grilled Melon Salad
Refreshing and summery, this salad balances sweetness and spice with a touch of fresh cheese and a bit of crunch from pumpkin seeds.
- Oil, for grill Add to list
- 2 pounds honeydew or cantaloupe Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup orange juice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile pepper, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or queso panela cheese Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions Add to list
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds Add to list
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Lightly oil grill grates.
Cut away the rind from melons; remove seeds if necessary. Cut fruit into 1-inch thick slices and season both sides lightly with salt and pepper. Grill melon until marks appear, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Once cool, cut into 1-inch cubes.
In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, cumin, chile pepper and cilantro. Add grilled melons, cheese, red onions and pumpkin seeds; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
Each serving: 130 cal, 6g fat (2g sat), 10mg chol, 220mg sodium, 16g carbs, 1g fiber, 12g sugar, 6g protein