Grilled Halibut with Pepper and Onion Relish
Sweet bell peppers become even sweeter when slowly cooked to go alongside the grilled halibut.
- 1 large red bell pepper Add to list
- 1 large yellow bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 yellow onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling Add to list
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus extra Add to list
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless halibut fillets Add to list
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil, such as canola or safflower Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar Add to list
Cut peppers into 1/4-inch slices, then cut into 1-inch lengths. Cut onion into 1/4-inch slices. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and garlic and stir to coat with oil. Turn heat down to medium-low and let cook gently, covered, for 15 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. While cooking, prepare fish.
Heat your grill or grill pan (for stovetop cooking) to medium-high. Brush fish with high-heat oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. When grill is hot, add fillets and cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the thickness, until fish flakes easily.
While fish is cooking, add 1/4 cup white wine vinegar to pepper-onion mixture. Let cook for 5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Take the cover off, add remaining 1/4 cup vinegar and let cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the vinegar evaporates.
Place 1/4 of the pepper relish on a plate and top with a fish fillet. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprig of your favorite herb to garnish.
Each serving: 280 cal, 11g fat (1.5g sat), 55mg chol, 180mg sodium, 7g carb, 1g fiber, 36g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks writer