Grilled Eggplant Layered with Shaved Garlic and Fresh Thyme
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds Japanese eggplant (if not available, use regular eggplant) Add to list
- 3/4 to 1 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sea salt Add to list
- Red crushed pepper, to taste Add to list
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced paper-thin Add to list
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar Add to list
Preheat gas grill. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 3⁄8 inch-thick slices. Place 4 tablespoons of the olive oil into a small bowl. Dip your fingers in the olive oil and quickly spread it onto each slice of eggplant. (Use of your fingers instead of a brush will result in less oil used.) Arrange eggplant slices on a grill rack, and grill until golden, 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
Arrange a layer of eggplant in the bottom of a dry, sterilized wide-mouthed 1-quart jar with a lid. Sprinkle with some of the salt, crushed red pepper, garlic and thyme. Continue layering in the same manner until all the eggplant, garlic and thyme have been used. Combine the remaining olive oil and the vinegar and pour it over the eggplant layers. Cover the jar with plastic wrap and then cover with the lid.
Can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »