Grilled Eggplant with Farro
Our eggplants are grown by Inaba Farms in Wapato, Wash. Our emmer farro, available in the bulk section, is grown by Bluebird Grain Farms in Winthrop, Wash.
- 2 cups emmer farro Add to list
- 3 small eggplants, halved Add to list
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded Add to list
- High-heat oil, for brushing Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Cook farro in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat grill to high. Brush eggplants and peppers with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool slightly and dice into 1-inch pieces.
Combine shallots, mustard and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
Toss farro with grilled vegetables, balsamic dressing, tomatoes and parsley. Best served at room temperature.
If you don’t want to go outside to grill the vegetables, you may also use a grill pan or cast-iron skillet placed over medium-high heat on your stovetop.
Each serving: 360 cal, 16g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 190mg sodium, 47g carb, 12g fiber, 9g protein