Grilled Chicken and Panzanella Salad with Toasted Fennel Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari Add to list
- 1/4 cup lime juice Add to list
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- 2 large organic chicken breasts Add to list
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 vine ripe tomato, chopped Add to list
- 1 bunch arugula Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 small French baguette (about 10 inches long) cut in half lengthwise Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
In a large bowl, make marinade by mixing together first six ingredients through cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Submerge cleaned chicken breasts in marinade and refrigerate over night.
Next day, when the chicken is marinated, preheat grill to medium high heat. Place chicken on grill and mark both sides. You may finish on the grill or in a preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the panzanella. In a large bowl, gently mix together the spring onion, tomato, arugula, balsamic vinegar, and the 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season this mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.
When chicken is almost ready to serve, lightly brush the bread with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill the bread until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Keep the bread moving to prevent burning. While bread is still warm, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 cups total), then lightly toss it together with tomato and onion mixture and set aside.
Combine remaining three ingredients to make vinaigrette.
To serve, place a large serving panzanella salad in the center of each of two plates and place a grilled chicken breast on top. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
Recipe by, Executive Chef - Ponti Seafood Grill
Source: Sound Consumer August 2003