Grilled Cheese with Marinated Onions & Whole-Grain Mustard
A grown-up version of an old favorite.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced 1/8-inch-thick Add to list
- 8 slices sourdough, Mille Grane or Pain du George bread Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil, for brushing Add to list
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard Add to list
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced Add to list
Preheat a large skillet to medium heat.
In a bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add onions, toss to coat. Marinate for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread (or brush with olive oil). Place half of the slices buttered side down, spread an even layer of mustard over bread and cover with half the cheese slices. Scatter marinated onions on top and place remaining cheese slices over onions. Put the top slices of bread over cheese, buttered side up.
Grill sandwiches in a moderately hot skillet for 4 to 5 minutes until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted, turning sandwiches over halfway through grilling. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal and serve immediately.
Each serving: 570 cal, 38g fat (14g sat), 60mg chol, 870mg sodium, 33g carb, 5g fiber, 25g protein
Source: Recipe adapted from Nancy Silverton