Grilled Cheese with Marinated Onions & Whole-Grain Mustard
Yield: 4 sandwiches
A grown-up version of an old favorite.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon champagne or white-wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced 1/8-inch-thick Add to list
- 8 slices PCC Sourdough, Mille Grane, or Pain du George bread Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil, for brushing Add to list
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard Add to list
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced Add to list
Preheat a large skillet to medium heat.
In a medium bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the onions, toss to coat and marinate for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread (or brush with olive oil). Place half of the slices buttered side down, spread an even layer of mustard over the bread and cover with half the cheese slices. Scatter the marinated onions on top and place the remaining cheese slices over the onions. Put the top slices of bread over the cheese, buttered side up.
Grill the sandwiches in a moderately hot skillet for 4 to 5 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted, turning sandwiches over halfway through grilling. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal and serve immediately.
Each serving: 570 cal, 38g fat (14g sat), 60mg chol, 870mg sodium, 33g carb, 5g fiber, 25g protein
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, April 2012
Recipe adapted from Nancy Silverton