Grilled Basil Flatbread with Tomato Salsa
A light and tasty appetizer or main course, perfect for summer grilling.
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast Add to list
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° F) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling Add to list
- 1 teaspoon honey Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting Add to list
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, divided Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt Add to list
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup thinly shaved fennel Add to list
- 2 anchovy filets, minced (optional) Add to list
- Pinch of red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 cup ricotta Add to list
In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water; let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in yogurt, oil and honey with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add flour, 3 teaspoons basil and salt; mix until flour is incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl in a warm spot, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare salsa: Combine tomatoes, fennel, anchovies, red pepper flakes and remaining 2 teaspoons basil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a round ball. Roll each ball into a 6- to 7-inch circle; let rest for 10 minutes. Brush each piece with a little oil.
Grill until bread is puffed and slightly charred, turning once, about 5 minutes. Divide ricotta between flatbreads and top with salsa. Return to the grill and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve immediately.
Each serving: 260cal, 9g fat (3.5g sat), 20mg chol, 330mg sodium, 37g carb, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 12g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »