Grilled Asparagus with Mango, Olives and Capers: Tapas Style
This savory-sweet-salty take on spring's first asparagus is couched in classic Spanish influences and absolutely glows with gorgeous color. In the summer, try it with fresh green beans and grilled tuna!
(Note: We loved this dish so much when we first did it for the show back in 2007 we decided to bring it back. I have made only a couple of small changes from the original.)
For the asparagus and grilled garlic bread
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 18 asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed Add to list
- 12 slices rustic bread, such as Ciabatta or baguette Add to list
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper Add to list
For the Mango-Olive-Caper Mixture
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons capers Add to list
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil Add to list
- 1 fresh mango, peeled, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 1/2 cut lemon (or more to taste) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Lemon slices and fresh herbs for garnish Add to list
To make the asparagus and grilled garlic bread
Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high. Combine the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and let sit while the grill heats. Toss the asparagus in enough of the seasoned olive oil to coat it lightly. Brush both sides of the bread slices with the olive oil as well.
Cook the asparagus and the bread slices, turning once or twice, for a scant 2 to 3 minutes or until grill marks show. The asparagus should be deep emerald in color but still tender-crisp and the bread a light golden. Remove the spears and the bread to a platter.
To finish the dish
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Stir-fry the garlic and thyme for about 15 seconds. Add the capers, olives, red bell pepper and basil and cook to heat through. Fold in the mango slices, squeeze the lemon over all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
Place 2 bread slices on each of 6 individual plates, and criss-cross 3 asparagus spears on top. Spoon the mango-olive-caper mixture over the asparagus and bread. Garnish with lemon slices and sprigs of thyme, basil or parsley.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on April 14, 2012. Also demonstrated on "Gardening with Ciscoe" on April 7, 2007.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »