Greens and Beans
Serves: 6 to 8
Nutrient-rich with many essential minerals.
- 1 bunch greens: kale, collards, chard, or escarole, torn into small pieces Add to list
- 1 to 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 cups cooked white beans Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can peeled crushed tomatoes Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling Add to list
- Crusty bread or pasta, for serving Add to list
Place greens or escarole in a large pan and then place in layers: potatoes, onion, beans and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Cover and steam on low heat until the pile has reduced by at least half. Stir and cook until greens are thoroughly wilted.
Splash with lemon juice just before serving. Sprinkle on grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Serve with a crusty bread and extra virgin olive oil. It makes a complete meal when served over pasta.
If you like a creamier texture, remove some of the cooked beans and potatoes and purĂ©e with vegetable or chicken stock.
Each serving: 160 cal, 3g fat (0g sat),0mg chol, 490mg sodium, 28g carb, 6g fiber, 7g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer February 2009