Greens and Beans
Serves: 6 to 8
Nutrient-rich with many essential minerals.
- 1 bunch greens: kale, collards or chard, or escarole, torn into small pieces Add to list
- 1 to 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 cups cooked white beans Add to list
- 14-ounce can peeled crushed tomatoes Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling Add to list
Place greens or escarole in a large pan and then place in layers: potatoes, onions, beans and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Cover and steam on low heat until the pile has reduced by at least half. Stir and cook covered until greens are thoroughly wilted.
If you like a creamier texture, remove some of the cooked beans and potatoes and purée with vegetable or chicken stock.
Just before serving, splash on lemon juice. Sprinkle on grated Romano or Parmesan cheese. Serve with a crusty bread and extra-virgin olive oil. It makes a complete meal when served over pasta.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer February 2009