Green Rice with Delicata Squash
This is a flavorful side dish with plenty of herbs. For a bit of crunch, toss in a handful of toasted walnuts or pine nuts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 pound Delicata squash – peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons white wine Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Heat oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add rice, stirring often, and cook until it's toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in white wine and cook until absorbed. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Fold in basil and parsley just before serving.