Green Rice with Delicata Squash
This is a flavorful side dish with plenty of herbs. For a bit of crunch, toss in a handful of toasted walnuts or pine nuts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 pound Delicata squash – peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons white wine Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Heat oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add rice, stirring often, and cook until it's toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in white wine and cook until absorbed. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Fold in basil and parsley just before serving.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »