Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Fresh Herbs
Serves: 4 to 6
Loaded with nutrients and low in calories (only 40 calories per cup), green beans are a welcome staple of the late summer harvest. When buying green beans, look for a vibrant green color free of brown spots. They should be firm, not rubbery, and snap when broken in half.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes of any variety Add to list
- 1/2 pound green beans - ends trimmed, blanched and “shocked” in cold water Add to list
- 1 to 2 green onions, diagonally sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup or more fresh chopped herbs (oregano, parsley and thyme) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste Add to list
Cut tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Place in a serving bowl with beans and green onions.
Add fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor