Green Bean and Spinach Salad with Almonds and Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered blanched almonds Add to list
- 1 pound green beans, washed and stemmed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 4 cups spinach — tough stems removed, washed and dried Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F. Spread almonds on a sheet pan and toast until light golden brown, stirring once or twice, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove to a plate and cool.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Cook green beans until crisp-tender. This will vary depending on the size of your beans, so taste frequently to check doneness. Drain beans and then place in the ice bath until completely cooled. Drain beans and dry.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Add olive oil in a slow stream while whisking, to emulsify. Taste and adjust seasonings.
To assemble the salad, arrange spinach on a large serving platter. Place green beans over spinach. Drizzle with some of the dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Pass remaining dressing alongside the salad.
Each serving: 360 cal, 34g fat (4.5g sat), 0mg chol, 70mg sodium, 13g carb, 7g fiber, 4g sugars, 4g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor