PCC Grass-fed Thai Steak Salad
Prep time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 1 3/4 pounds PCC grass-fed top round beef Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for the beef Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, divided Add to list
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, divided Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 cup cane sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lime zest Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1/3 cup lime juice Add to list
- 2 sliced green onions Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Trim silverskin (silvery-white connective tissue) and fat completely and cut meat into 2-inch-thick pieces, going with the grain. All pieces should be about the same size so they cook at the same rate.
Lightly oil the beef and then lightly season with salt and pepper. Over medium-high heat, sear the meat on both sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer meat to sheet pans and roast in oven until meat reaches an internal temperature of 130° F, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
Remove seeds from half of jalapeño pepper. Combine two-thirds of the cilantro and two-thirds of the jalapeño with seeds with garlic, sugar, lime zest and red pepper flakes in a food processor and blend into a paste. Add tamari, lime juice and oil; blend until smooth. Chop the remaining cilantro and thinly slice the remaining jalapeño and set aside for garnish.
Slice the cooled meat across the grain as thinly as possible, about 2 to 3 inches long by 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide. Toss the meat in the dressing.
Garnish with remaining jalapeño and cilantro, and green onions.
Let salad marinate for at least 1 hour before serving. Drain excess liquid and serve cold.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!