Grace's Mole con Pollo
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
This sauce is spectacular baked on top of cheese enchiladas for those of you who prefer to eat vegetarian. Serve with Mexican brown rice, fresh avocado, and a green salad with lime dressing
- 1 5-pound free-range whole chicken Add to list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon or more cayenne Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 4 ounces baking chocolate Add to list
Optional garnish: 1/2 cup cojita cheese, grated or crumbled
Cut chicken into parts. Save the back for making chicken stock. Place parts in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Put breasts and thighs bone-side up. Preheat oven to 350° F.
Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and sugar. Cook about 15 to 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Let sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Pour sauce over chicken parts. Cover pan and bake for 1 hour.
Source: Adapted from "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook" (America's Test Kitchen, Brookline, MA, 2006) by Grace Geiger.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »