Good Morning Coffee Cake
This whole-grain coffee cake uses applesauce and non-fat sour cream as fat substitutes.
- 2 chopped apples Add to list
- 1/3 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon flour (wheat, spelt, barley) Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups muscovado or demerara sugar Add to list
- 3/4 cup applesauce Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 3 cups whole-grain flour (wheat, spelt, barley) Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat sour cream (or quark) Add to list
Mix chopped apples with brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cook for about 4 minutes. Set aside.
Beat together muscovado or demerara sugar, applesauce, vanilla and eggs in a medium bowl. Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream.
Spread half of batter in sprayed baking pan, sprinkle with apple filling, and spread the rest of batter. Bake at 325° F for about 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
Source: PCC Natural Markets October 2008
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »