Good Morning Coffee Cake
This whole-grain coffee cake uses applesauce and non-fat sour cream as fat substitutes.
- 2 chopped apples Add to list
- 1/3 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon whole-grain flour (wheat, spelt or barley), divided Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups muscovado or demerara sugar Add to list
- 3/4 cup applesauce Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat sour cream or quark Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly oil a 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
Mix chopped apples with brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and cinnamon. Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cook for about 4 minutes. Set aside.
Beat together muscovado or demerara sugar, applesauce, vanilla and eggs in a bowl. Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream.
Spread half the batter in the prepared pan, sprinkle with apple filling, and spread with remaining batter. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.