Goldie’s Maple-lemon Tempeh
Serve this marinated hot tempeh with basmati rice or quinoa, steamed broccoli and carrots or a crisp dark green salad.
- 1/4 cup tamari Add to list
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast powder (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 2 (8-ounce) packages tempeh Add to list
- 1/4 cup oil for sautéing (coconut or high oleic safflower) Add to list
In a shallow bowl, stir together tamari, maple syrup, lemon juice, garlic and nutritional yeast.
Use a fork to pierce tempeh front and back several times, then cut into 1/4-inch strips. Place in marinade, and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add tempeh, reserving leftover marinade. Brown tempeh on each side for 10 minutes. Pour remaining marinade over tempeh, and as it sizzles, quickly turn tempeh once or twice.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager