Goldie’s Maple-lemon Tempeh
- 1/4 cup tamari Add to list
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast powder, optional Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 2 8-ounce packages tempeh Add to list
- 1/4 cup oil for sautéing (coconut or high oleic safflower) Add to list
In a shallow bowl, stir together tamari, maple syrup, lemon juice, garlic and nutritional yeast.
Use a fork to pierce tempeh front and back several times, then cut into 1/4-inch strips. Place in the marinade, and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add tempeh, reserving leftover marinade. Brown tempeh each side for 10 minutes. Pour remaining marinade over tempeh, and as it sizzles, quickly turn tempeh once or twice.
Serve hot with basmati rice or quinoa, steamed broccoli and carrots, and a crisp dark green salad.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »