Goldie’s Maple-lemon Tempeh
- 2 8-ounce packages tempeh (plain, veggie or 3-grain) Add to list
- 1/4 cup tamari or shoyu (soy sauce) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast powder, optional Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1/4 cup oil for sautéing (coconut or high oleic safflower) Add to list
Use a fork to pierce the tempeh front and back several times, then cut into 1/4-inch strips. Place in a shallow dish and add all ingredients except oil. Marinate at least 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add tempeh, keeping leftover marinade aside. Brown tempeh each side for 10 minutes or longer, as desired. Pour remaining marinade over tempeh in skillet and, as it sizzles, quickly turn once or twice.
Serve hot with basmati rice or quinoa, steamed broccoli and carrots, and a crisp dark green salad.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager